Targeting cancer stem cells by mTOR inhibition in human mucoepidermoid carcinoma (2017)
- USP affiliated author: NUNES, FABIO DAUMAS - FO
- School: FO
- Subjects: CÉLULAS-TRONCO; CARCINOMA DE CÉLULAS ESCAMOSAS; SEGMENTAÇÃO
- Language: Português
- Abstract: Mucoepidermoid carcinoma (MEC) is the most common malignant salivary gland tumor. We have recently reported that cancer stem cells drive the tumorigenic process of MEC. Our objective was to investigate the effect of mTOR inhibition in the pathobiology of cancer stem cells in MEC. We performed immunohistochemistry for p-mTOR/p-S6K-1 in an annotated panel of human MEC and correlated results to patient outcomes, and performed co-immunoflorescence for ALDH/p-mTOR in human MEC. Mechanistic studies were performed in 3 human MEC cell lines with inhibitors of the mTOR signaling pathway. We performed cytotoxic, western blot, flow cytometry for ALDH/CD44, salispheres and apoptosis assays. In addition, we performed genetic silencing of mTOR, and in vivo assays with chemical and genetic mTOR inhibitors. We observed that mTOR pathway is constitutively active in MEC cancer stem cells, and that high mTOR expression correlates with poor patient prognosis (p=0.002941). mTOR inhibition led to loss of self-renewal and decrease fraction of cancer stem cells in vitro (p<0.05) and in vivo (p=0.0027). A decrease in p-AKT upon mTOR inhibition indicated involvement of mTORC2. mTOR inhibition with Temsirolimus caused MEC tumor regression in vivo (p < 0.0001) and mTOR silencing (shRNA) caused slowdown of tumor growth over 90 day follow-up (p<0.0001). Collectively, these results demonstrated that mTOR signaling is required for the survival of MEC cancer stem cells, and suggested that patients with mucoepidermoid carcinoma might benefit from therapeutic inhibition of mTOR.
- Conference title: Proceedings of the SBPqO Annual Meeting
ABNTANDRADE, N. P; NUNES, F. D; NÖR, J. E. Targeting cancer stem cells by mTOR inhibition in human mucoepidermoid carcinoma. Brazilian Oral Research[S.l: s.n.], 2017.
APAAndrade, N. P., Nunes, F. D., & Nör, J. E. (2017). Targeting cancer stem cells by mTOR inhibition in human mucoepidermoid carcinoma. Brazilian Oral Research. São Paulo: SBPqO.
NLMAndrade NP, Nunes FD, Nör JE. Targeting cancer stem cells by mTOR inhibition in human mucoepidermoid carcinoma. Brazilian Oral Research. 2017 ; 31 49.
VancouverAndrade NP, Nunes FD, Nör JE. Targeting cancer stem cells by mTOR inhibition in human mucoepidermoid carcinoma. Brazilian Oral Research. 2017 ; 31 49.
- Expressão de transcritos dos genes BMP4, WNT5A e SHH durante o desenvolvimento craniofacial de camundongos
- BMP and osteonectin in benign fibro-osseous lesions of the jaws: a comparative study
- Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in odontogenic tumors. BMP and Msx immunohistochemistry findings
- Interação epitélio-mesenquimal em tumores odontogênicos: Expressão das proteínas BMP e Msx
- Expressão de genes HOX em carcinomas epidermóides de boca
- Verificacao da presenca do papilomavirus em lesoes cancerizaveis da cavidade bucal
- GLI3 knockdown decreases stemness, cell proliferation and invasion in oral squamous cell carcinoma
- Análise quantitativa da expressão dos genes homeobox em linhagens celulares derivadas de carcinomas epidermóides bucais
- PROX1 gene is involved in oral cancer proliferation and differentiation
- Rabdomiossarcoma embrionário em mucosa jugal
How to cite
A citação é gerada automaticamente e pode não estar totalmente de acordo com as normas