Targeting cancer stem cells by mTOR inhibition in human mucoepidermoid carcinoma (2017)
- Autor USP: NUNES, FABIO DAUMAS - FO
- Unidade: FO
- Subjects: CÉLULAS-TRONCO; CARCINOMA DE CÉLULAS ESCAMOSAS; SEGMENTAÇÃO
- Language: Português
- Abstract: Mucoepidermoid carcinoma (MEC) is the most common malignant salivary gland tumor. We have recently reported that cancer stem cells drive the tumorigenic process of MEC. Our objective was to investigate the effect of mTOR inhibition in the pathobiology of cancer stem cells in MEC. We performed immunohistochemistry for p-mTOR/p-S6K-1 in an annotated panel of human MEC and correlated results to patient outcomes, and performed co-immunoflorescence for ALDH/p-mTOR in human MEC. Mechanistic studies were performed in 3 human MEC cell lines with inhibitors of the mTOR signaling pathway. We performed cytotoxic, western blot, flow cytometry for ALDH/CD44, salispheres and apoptosis assays. In addition, we performed genetic silencing of mTOR, and in vivo assays with chemical and genetic mTOR inhibitors. We observed that mTOR pathway is constitutively active in MEC cancer stem cells, and that high mTOR expression correlates with poor patient prognosis (p=0.002941). mTOR inhibition led to loss of self-renewal and decrease fraction of cancer stem cells in vitro (p<0.05) and in vivo (p=0.0027). A decrease in p-AKT upon mTOR inhibition indicated involvement of mTORC2. mTOR inhibition with Temsirolimus caused MEC tumor regression in vivo (p < 0.0001) and mTOR silencing (shRNA) caused slowdown of tumor growth over 90 day follow-up (p<0.0001). Collectively, these results demonstrated that mTOR signaling is required for the survival of MEC cancer stem cells, and suggested that patients with mucoepidermoid carcinoma might benefit from therapeutic inhibition of mTOR.
- Conference titles: Proceedings of the SBPqO Annual Meeting
ABNTANDRADE, N. P; NUNES, F. D; NÖR, J. E. Targeting cancer stem cells by mTOR inhibition in human mucoepidermoid carcinoma. Brazilian Oral Research[S.l: s.n.], 2017.
APAAndrade, N. P., Nunes, F. D., & Nör, J. E. (2017). Targeting cancer stem cells by mTOR inhibition in human mucoepidermoid carcinoma. Brazilian Oral Research. São Paulo: SBPqO.
NLMAndrade NP, Nunes FD, Nör JE. Targeting cancer stem cells by mTOR inhibition in human mucoepidermoid carcinoma. Brazilian Oral Research. 2017 ; 31 49.
VancouverAndrade NP, Nunes FD, Nör JE. Targeting cancer stem cells by mTOR inhibition in human mucoepidermoid carcinoma. Brazilian Oral Research. 2017 ; 31 49.
- HPV in oral squamous cell carcinomas of a brazilian population: amplification by PCR
- Low-level laser irradiation modulates cell viability and creatine kinase activity in C2C12 muscle cells during the differentiation process
- Effect of low-level laser therapy on the modulation of the mitochondrial activity of macrophages
- Oral smooth muscle tumors: Analysis of 49 cases and literature review
- Avaliação da diluição do DNA extraído de material parafinado para amplificação em PCR
- Sensory organ generation in the chicken inner ear: contributions of bone morphogenetic Protein 4, Serrate 1 and lunatic fringe
- Proteínas morfogenéticas do osso: considerações gerais e seu uso em odontologia
- Expression of MMR system genes is correlated to NFkB in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma
- Detecção do HHV-8 em sarcomas de Kaposi da mucosa bucal
- Comparação de quatro métodos de extração de DNA de material parafinado para técnicas auxiliares no diagnóstico histopatológico e estudos retrospectivos
How to cite
A citação é gerada automaticamente e pode não estar totalmente de acordo com as normas