The effects of photodynamic therapy using methylene blue on inflammatory mediators in Walker 256 tumor (2013)
- Autor USP: MARTINS, RODRIGO ALVARO BRANDÃO LOPES - ICB
- Unidade: ICB
- Subjects: FARMACOLOGIA; LASER; TUMOR DE WALKER ANIMAL; ELISA EM ANIMAL
- Language: Português
- Abstract: Introdução . Light has been used for therapeutic purposes since ancient times. The first generation of drugs for photodynamic therapy, based on derivatives of hematoporphirins compounds, was described in the 50's with effects on tumor regression. Methylene blue is a dye of the class of phenothiazines, with potential for medical applications such as drug in photodynamic therapy. The Walker 256 carcinosarcoma is a well characterized tumor with aggressive biological behavior. Aims. The aims of the present study were to evaluate the regulation and expression of inflammatory mediators in the development and progression of Walker 256 tumor, treated by photodynamic therapy using methylene blue as a photosensitizer agent. We investigated the expression of COX-1 and COX-2 and production of inflammatory mediators, cytokines and prostanoids in the tumor. Objetivos The purpose of the present study was to investigate the effect of photodynamic therapy using methylene blue photoactivated by low level laser radiation on Walker 256 tumour and its correlation to the inflammatory process. Métodos All procedures involving animals were approved by the Ethical committee of the Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of São Paulo. Ninety femal Wistar rats (8 weeks, 200g), from the Biotery of the Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of São Paulo were used in this study. The animals were divided into groups of five animals with food and water ad libitum. The inoculum of tumor cells, Walker 256 was prepared (1x107células/mL) in phosphate buffer. For the implantation procedure of Walker 256 tumor, all animals were first anesthetized with halothane by inhalation at a dose of 1mg/mL. During anesthesia, tumor implantation was performed on the animals by inoculating 1 ml subcutaneous (sc) cell suspension.After the procedure, the animal returned to the animal house, which were kept under observation for evaluating the development of the solid tumor mass for a period of 14 days. Group 1 - Control (Saline - NaCl 0.9%), Group 2 - methylene blue 0.1% + Laser 3J, Group 3 - methylene blue 0.3% + Laser 3J, Group 4 - methylene blue 1, 0% + Laser 3J; Group 5 - Treated with 3.0% methylene blue + Laser 3J. Dosages of the cytokines TNF-α, IL-1β, IL-6 and IL-10 in tumor tissue samples were performed by enzyme immunoassay (ELISA), following the instructions of commercially available kit (R & D System, USA). Resultados Methylene blue alone at the 0.1% concentration was able to induce the increase of IL-6 (200 ± 35%), IL-10 (90 ± 20%) and TNF-α (83 ± 30%) at the tumor mass. Low level Laser Therapy when irradiated alone also induced a dose dependent increase in the levels of IL-1(90 ± 15%), IL-6(100 ± 50%), and TNF-alpha in a dose dependent manner up to 120 ± 22%. COX-1 gene expression was not affected by methylene blue nor by Laser. On the other hand, COX-2 gene expression was significantly increased by both methylene blue(0.1%) and Laser (1Joule). When applied together, methylene blue plus Low level laser irradiation, characterizing the PDT, all of the inflammatory mediators were significantly increased. Tumor mass was reduced and survival rate increased by 50%. Conclusão Photodynamic therapy seems to be modulating or even stimulating an inflammatory reaction within the tumor mass and consequently reducing the tumor letality.
- Título do periódico: Resumos
- Conference titles: Reunião Anual da Federação de Sociedades de Biologia Experimental (FeSBE)
ABNTPETRELLIS, M. C.; SILVA, P. D. A.; CARVALHO, R. L. D. P.; et al. The effects of photodynamic therapy using methylene blue on inflammatory mediators in Walker 256 tumor. Anais.. Caxambu: FeSBE, 2013.
APAPetrellis, M. C., Silva, P. D. A., Carvalho, R. L. D. P., Marcos, R. L., Frigo, L., Teixeira, S., et al. (2013). The effects of photodynamic therapy using methylene blue on inflammatory mediators in Walker 256 tumor. In Resumos. Caxambu: FeSBE.
NLMPetrellis MC, Silva PDA, Carvalho RLDP, Marcos RL, Frigo L, Teixeira S, Maria DA, Lopes-Martins RÁB. The effects of photodynamic therapy using methylene blue on inflammatory mediators in Walker 256 tumor. Resumos. 2013 ;
VancouverPetrellis MC, Silva PDA, Carvalho RLDP, Marcos RL, Frigo L, Teixeira S, Maria DA, Lopes-Martins RÁB. The effects of photodynamic therapy using methylene blue on inflammatory mediators in Walker 256 tumor. Resumos. 2013 ;
- In vitro analysis of human tooth pulp chamber temperature after low-intensity laser therapy at different power outputs
- Low-level laser irradiation (ingaalp-660 nm) increases fibroblast cell proliferation and reduces cell death in a dose-dependent manner
- Efficacy of low-level laser therapy in the management of neck pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised placebo or active-treatment controlled trials
- What is the best treatment to decrease pro-inflammatory cytokine release in acute skeletal muscle injury induced by trauma in rats: low-level laser therapy, diclofenac, or cryotherapy?
- Caracterização da variabilidade de freqüência cardíaca e sensibilidade do barorreflexo em indivíduos sedentários e atletas do sexo masculino
- Efeitos da suplementação aguda de aspartato de arginina na fadiga muscular em voluntários treinados
- Prevention and treatment of mice paw edema by near-infrared low-level laser therapy on lymph nodes
- Low level laser therapy partially restores trachea muscle relaxation response in rats with tumor necrosis factor a-mediated smooth airway muscle dysfunction
- Análise dos efeitos da cinesioterapia e da hidrocinesioterapia sobre a qualidade de vida de pacientes com fibromialgia: um ensaio clínico randomizado
- Low-level laser therapy improves skeletal muscle performance, decreases skeletal muscle damage and modulates mRNA expression of COX-1 and COX-2 in a dose-dependent manner
How to cite
A citação é gerada automaticamente e pode não estar totalmente de acordo com as normas