On the equation of motion governing the dynamics of vertically collapsing buildings (2012)
- Autor USP: PESCE, CELSO PUPO - EP
- Unidade: EP
- Subjects: DINÂMICA DAS ESTRUTURAS; TENSÃO ESTRUTURAL; RESISTÊNCIA DOS MATERIAIS
- Language: Inglês
- Abstract: The present paper aims at contributing to a discussion, opened by several authors, on the proper equation of motion that governs the vertical collapse of buildings. The most striking and tragic example is that of the World Trade Center twin towers, in New York city, about ten years. Surely this is a very complex problem and, besides dynamics, the analysis involves several areas of knowledge in mechanics, such as structural engineering, materials sciences and thermodynamics, among many others. Therefore, the goal of this work is far from claiming to deal with the problem in its completeness, leaving aside discussions about the modeling of the resistive load to collapse, for example. However, the following analysis, restricted to the study of motion, shows that the problem in question holds great similarity to the classic "falling-chain problem", very much addressed in a number of different versions as the pioneering one, by von Buquoy or the one by Cayley. Following previous works, a simple single degree of freedom model is readdressed and conceptually discussed. It is shown that the form of the Lagrange equation which leads to a proper equation of motion for the collapsing building is a general and extended dissipative form, which is proper for systems with mass varying explicitly with position. The additional dissipative generalized force term which is present in the extended form of the Lagrange equation is shown to be derivable from a Rayleigh-like energy function.
ABNTPESCE, Celso Pupo; CASETTA, Leonardo; SANTOS, Flávia M. On the equation of motion governing the dynamics of vertically collapsing buildings. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, New York, p. 1-29, 2012.
APAPesce, C. P., Casetta, L., & Santos, F. M. (2012). On the equation of motion governing the dynamics of vertically collapsing buildings. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 1-29.
NLMPesce CP, Casetta L, Santos FM. On the equation of motion governing the dynamics of vertically collapsing buildings. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. 2012 ; 1-29.
VancouverPesce CP, Casetta L, Santos FM. On the equation of motion governing the dynamics of vertically collapsing buildings. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. 2012 ; 1-29.
- Avanços recentes em hidromecânica de elementos tubulares com aplicações offshore
- Dynamic positioning of a pipeline lauching barge
- Estudo de impacto hidrodinâmico
- Modo de operação de busca de aproamento ótimo aplicado a sistemas de posicionamento dinâmico
- Abordagem variacional de um problema clássico da hidrodinâmica potencial / Variational approach of a classical problem in potential hydrodynamics
- Application of a variational method to the vertical hydrodynamic impact of axisymetric bodies
- On Hamilton’s principle for discrete systems of variable mass and the corresponding Lagrange’s equations
- Application of variational method to the vertical hydrodynamic impact of axisymmetric bodies
- Mathieu stability in the dynamics of TLP´S tethers considering variable tension along the lenght
- Some remarks on vortex-induced vibrations of flexible cylinders
How to cite
A citação é gerada automaticamente e pode não estar totalmente de acordo com as normas