Landscapes of desire and vulnerability to HIV: AIDS prevention among MSM in São Paulo city-Brazil (2006)
- Autor USP: PAIVA, VERA SILVIA FACCIOLLA - IP
- Unidade: IP
- Assunto: SÍNDROME DE IMUNODEFICIÊNCIA ADQUIRIDA
- Language: Inglês
- Abstract: Background: Studies demonstrated that men who have sex with men (MSM) have different lifestyles and occupied different cultural and social spaces. In Brazil, 25% of HIV infection was by homosexual/bisexual transmission. Objectives: describe how sexual subcultures of MSM, that attended bars and discos in two different districts, occupied different landscapes of vulnerability, and describe subcultures and sexual practices. Methods: ethnographic mapping of two districts of São Paulo, application of questionnaires in 500 men about: demographic data, risk perception, sexual practices, AIDS prevention. Interventions were applied during 12 months, with distribution of condom, lubricants, and informative material. Results: Ethnographic mapping showed that Centro district had traditional and oldest bars, more hustlers’ men and travesties, with identity images based on gender roles. Jardins district had refined bars, with image identity based on gay identity. The questionnaire demonstrated that 52% had risk sexual practices with regular partners, and 42% with casual partners. 71% did the antibody test, and 5% were positive for HIV. We found significant differences between districts. Men who go to bars and discos at Centro: were poorest, less educated, black; had lower risk perception; they where less confident of preventive methods for aids; they have more sexual risk practices; agree more that they don’t use condom because passion and because there are medicines to AIDS.
- Título do periódico: Abstract
- Conference titles: International AIDS Conference
ABNTANTUNES, Maria Cristina; PAIVA, Vera Silvia Facciolla; HEARST, N. Landscapes of desire and vulnerability to HIV: AIDS prevention among MSM in São Paulo city-Brazil. Anais.. Toronto: International AIDS Society, 2006.
APAAntunes, M. C., Paiva, V. S. F., & Hearst, N. (2006). Landscapes of desire and vulnerability to HIV: AIDS prevention among MSM in São Paulo city-Brazil. In Abstract. Toronto: International AIDS Society.
NLMAntunes MC, Paiva VSF, Hearst N. Landscapes of desire and vulnerability to HIV: AIDS prevention among MSM in São Paulo city-Brazil. Abstract. 2006 ;
VancouverAntunes MC, Paiva VSF, Hearst N. Landscapes of desire and vulnerability to HIV: AIDS prevention among MSM in São Paulo city-Brazil. Abstract. 2006 ;
- Fazendo arte para evitar o mal. [Depoimento]
- A dor silenciosa da mulher com AIDS
- Em tempos de aids: sexo seguro, prevenção, drogas, adolescentes, mulheres, apoio psicológico aos portadores : viva a vida
- Sexualidade, normas de genero e negociação do uso de camisinha entre adolescentes
- Aids will catch you
- Evaluating an AIDS prevention program for young adusts in public night schools in Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Misticismo pode substituir o erotismo. [Entrevista a antonio carlos olivieri]
- É chato, mas indispensável
- Fatores psicossociais que dificultam a adesão das mulheres portadoras do HIV aos cuidados de saúde
- Jovens e adolescentes em tempos de AIDS: reflexões sobre uma década de trabalho de prevenção
How to cite
A citação é gerada automaticamente e pode não estar totalmente de acordo com as normas