Biological rhythms of Guarani adult indians (2005)
- Autor USP: BARRETO, LUIZ SILVEIRA MENNA - ICB
- Unidade: ICB
- Assunto: FISIOLOGIA
- Language: Inglês
- Abstract: Biological rhythms of people who live in urban areas differ along ontogenesis. Adults show a monophasic sleep pattern whereas elderly show fragmented sleep patterns, phase advances and lower amplitudes of the temperature rhythm. However we don't have enough information about biological rhythms of people who live in rural areas without electricity. The aim of this research is to study the activity/rest and peripheral temperature temporal patterns of Guarani adult Indians who live in a settlement without electricity. We studied Guarani adult Indians aged > 18yrs, living in Ubatuba - Brazil. Here we report results of activity/rest rhythm by actigraph (Micro-Mini Mottionlogger®) of 8 Indians (1 woman and 7 men) collected during 12 consecutive days and peripheral temperature of 13 Indians (3 women and 10 men) collected during three days (72 hours). The wrist skin temperature was recorded every 30 minutes by a programmable device (Thermochron®).We applied COSINOR and Pearson Moment Correlation to analyze the peripheral temperature temporal pattern. There was a negative correlation between acrophase and age (R=- 0.50, p-value<0.08). The oldest subject had a tempertature rhythm with low amplitude and phase advance compared with the youngest. The activity/rest cycle was analyzed with Wilcoxon's Matched Pairs Test. There wasn't significant difference between weekend and weekdays (p<0.05), except when considering the transition betweenWednesday - Thrusday and Thrusday - Friday, because during these days they usually wake up 4:00h to go to the forest. The onset time and duration of rest were very different between individuals and the youngest used to go to bed later than the oldest subjects. The oldest subject woke up earlier than the youngest. Our conclusion is that the pattern of temperature and activity/rest cycles thus far in these individuals are similar to the patterns reported for adults living in urban areas.
- Publisher: Comissão de Cultura e Extensão Universitária do ICB/USP
- Publisher place: São Paulo
- Date published: 2005
- Título do periódico: Resumos
- Conference titles: Congresso do Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas
ABNTWEY, D.; MENNA-BARRETO, Luiz Silveira. Biological rhythms of Guarani adult indians. Anais.. São Paulo: Comissão de Cultura e Extensão Universitária do ICB/USP, 2005.
APAWey, D., & Menna-Barreto, L. S. (2005). Biological rhythms of Guarani adult indians. In Resumos. São Paulo: Comissão de Cultura e Extensão Universitária do ICB/USP.
NLMWey D, Menna-Barreto LS. Biological rhythms of Guarani adult indians. Resumos. 2005 ;
VancouverWey D, Menna-Barreto LS. Biological rhythms of Guarani adult indians. Resumos. 2005 ;
- Análise do padrão de sono, ritmo de temperatura periférica e atividade motora em adolescentes: relações com o jet lag social e o desempenho escolar
- Ciclo vigilia / sono humano: aspectos ontogenéticos e eronobiológicos
- Espaço para o tempo, por favor
- Cronobiologia como conceito e como metodo
- Becoming circadian is not at all that easy
- Declining strength of the circadian component of the sleep / wake cycle in the elderly ?
- Is subjective sleep quality related to the strength of the circadian and semicircadian components of the sleep-wake cycle in human ageing ?
- Development of the circadian component in human sleep / wake cycle in the first six years of life
- Beginning school strengthens the circadian component of the sleep / wake cycle
- Latitude and social habits as determinants of the distribution of morning and evening types in brazil
How to cite
A citação é gerada automaticamente e pode não estar totalmente de acordo com as normas