Effects of decision processes on the temporal precision of coincidence anticipation (2004)
- Autor USP: RANVAUD, RONALD DENNIS PAUL KENNETH CLIVE - ICB
- Unidade: ICB
- Assunto: FISIOLOGIA
- Language: Português
- Abstract: Objetivo: The execution of a motor response involves a process of selection (what to do) and temporal adjustment (when to do it). This work investigated the effect of the selection process on the temporal precision in a coincidence anticipation task. Métodos e Resultados: Eighteen volunteers participated in this study previously approved by the Institutional Ethical Committee. In an acoustically isolated booth with dimmed lights, volunteers´ had their eyes positioned 57 cm from and in the middle of a computer screen by a resting chin and forehead on a support. The software Mel 2.01 generated three white points (Upper - UP, Central - CP, Lower - LP) on a black background and recorded manual responses (inclining a lever and thus tripping optical sensors linked to the joystick port of the computer. CP was stationary. Each trial started with LP moving vertically upward from a fixed starting point, at a constant speed, towards CP. UP might move or not laterally at random times between 51 ms and 1100ms before the superposition of LP and CP.This interval was denominated Available Time (AT) to decide which side to incline the lever, since it indicated the direction in which the lever should be inclined. The primary task was inclining the lever at the instant the LP superposed perfectly to the CP (when to do it), and, if possible, to the opposite side of the UP (what to do). On occasion gaze was also monitored by an eye-tracker. Correctresponses as a function of AT were adjusted with a logistic curve and determined that on average of 231 ms (se=8 ms) were necessary to achieve 50% of probability to process correctly determining "what to do", under the constraint of doing it at the right moment. However, systematic errors were present in timing the response even for available times longer than 480ms. Involuntary ocular shifts detected by eye-tracker suggest possible attentional displacement hundreds of milliseconds before the superposition. This might be the source of timing errors for ATs much larger than needed to determine the side to which the lever should be inclined. Conclusões: The temporal adjustment of a coincidence anticipation task depends on the selection process that determines what to do at the time of coincidence, and might be a consequence of involuntary attentional shifts.
- Título do periódico: Resumos
- Conference titles: Reunião Anual da Federação de Sociedades de Biologia Experimental, FeSBE
ABNTMORYA, E.; FERLAZZO, F.; RANVAUD, Ronald Dennis Paul Kenneth; SAVELSBERGH, G. Effects of decision processes on the temporal precision of coincidence anticipation. Anais.. Águas de Lindóia: [s.n.], 2004.
APAMorya, E., Ferlazzo, F., Ranvaud, R. D. P. K., & Savelsbergh, G. (2004). Effects of decision processes on the temporal precision of coincidence anticipation. In Resumos. Águas de Lindóia.
NLMMorya E, Ferlazzo F, Ranvaud RDPK, Savelsbergh G. Effects of decision processes on the temporal precision of coincidence anticipation. Resumos. 2004 ;
VancouverMorya E, Ferlazzo F, Ranvaud RDPK, Savelsbergh G. Effects of decision processes on the temporal precision of coincidence anticipation. Resumos. 2004 ;
- Aspectos do comportamento reprodutivo colonial de Zenaida auriculata (Aves, Columbidae) no médio Paranapanema
- How accurate is the sun compass of the homing pigeon?
- Sincronismo na postura de ovos, em uma grande colônia reprodutiva semi-permanente de Zenaida auriculata no Estado de São Paulo
- Mapping the spatial distribution of attention through reaction times
- Eye movements and motor programming in a time-to-contact task
- Desenvolvimento de um sistema de alavanca para aquisição e registro de dados em experimentos psicofísicos
- Desafios psicofísicos de árbitros de taekwondo
- Efeito de fadiga no controle motor
- A infkuência do stresse na resposta motora
- O "set time" e o tempo de reação em provas curtas do atletismo
How to cite
A citação é gerada automaticamente e pode não estar totalmente de acordo com as normas