The right to love: the desire for parenthood among men living with HIV (2003)
- USP affiliated authors: PAIVA, VERA SILVIA FACCIOLLA - IP ; SEGURADO, ALUISIO AUGUSTO COTRIM - FM
- Unidades: IP; FM
- Subjects: AMOR; HOMEM; HIV; PATERNIDADE; SÍNDROME DE IMUNODEFICIÊNCIA ADQUIRIDA
- Language: Inglês
- Abstract: Drug regimens and procedures now exist that will prevent parents from transmitting HIV to infants, and the ethical and legal abligation to promote and protect the reproductive rights of those living with HIV should form part of training for HIV/AIDS care and prevention. This paper reports a study that investigated issues of sexuality and reproduction with 250 Brazilian men living with HIV in São Paulo. We asked whether they wished to have children and whether health professionals in HIV/AIDS treatment clinics that they attended were supportive of their wishes. Health professionals were not cansidered by most participants to be supportive enough or even impartial about HIV-positive people having children, and paid little attention to men's fathering role. 80% of the men had sexual relationships, and 43% of them wanted children, especially those who had no children, in spite of expectations of disapproval. Few of the men received infarmation about treatment options that would protect infants, however. In previous studies with HIV-positive women attending the same clinics, by camparison, greater knowledge about prevention of perinatal HIV transmission was reported, but women had fewer sexual relationships, fewer desired to have children, and they expected even more disapproval of having children from health professionals. We conclude that the rights of those with HIV to found a family depend as much on curing the ills of prejudice and discrimination,including among health professionals, as on medical interventions
- Título do periódico: Reproductive Health Matters
- Volume/Número/Paginação/Ano: v. 11, n. 22, p. 91-100, 2003
ABNTPAIVA, Vera Silvia Facciolla; FILIPE, Elvira Ventura; SANTOS, Naila; LIMA, Tiago Novaes; SEGURADO, Aluísio Augusto Cotrim. The right to love: the desire for parenthood among men living with HIV. Reproductive Health Matters, Londres, v. 11, n. 22, p. 91-100, 2003.
APAPaiva, V. S. F., Filipe, E. V., Santos, N., Lima, T. N., & Segurado, A. A. C. (2003). The right to love: the desire for parenthood among men living with HIV. Reproductive Health Matters, 11( 22), 91-100.
NLMPaiva VSF, Filipe EV, Santos N, Lima TN, Segurado AAC. The right to love: the desire for parenthood among men living with HIV. Reproductive Health Matters. 2003 ; 11( 22): 91-100.
VancouverPaiva VSF, Filipe EV, Santos N, Lima TN, Segurado AAC. The right to love: the desire for parenthood among men living with HIV. Reproductive Health Matters. 2003 ; 11( 22): 91-100.
- Self-disclosure of HIV diagnosis to sexual partners by heterosexual and bisexual men: a challenge for HIV/AIDS care and prevention
- Sexual orientation, use of drugs and risk perception among HIV-positive men in São Paulo, Brazil
- A revelação da soropositividade por homens bissexuais e heterossexuais para parceiros sexuais: um desafio para o cuidado e a prevenção do HIV/AIDS
- Rights of HIV positive people to sexual and reproductive helath: parenthood
- Sem direito de amar? A vontade de ter filhos entre homens (e mulheres) vivendo com o HIV
- Serviços ainda não estão adequados para atender as mulheres HIV+ [Depoimento]
- AIDS related stigma and discrimination (S&D) against adolescents living with HIV/AIDS (ALWHA) [abstract]
- Sexual abuse victimization and perpetration in a cohort of men living with HIV/AIDS who have sex with women from São Paulo, Brazil
- Desire to have children:: gender and reproductive rights of men and women living with HIV: a challenge to health care in Brazil
- An experience for the care of seropositive women and their children in the city of Santos, São Paulo [abstract]
How to cite
A citação é gerada automaticamente e pode não estar totalmente de acordo com as normas