Accuracy of blood glucose self estimation: effects of an observational training in insulin dependents diabetic (iddm) patients (1994)
- Autor USP: MATOS, MARIA AMELIA - IP
- Unidade: IP
- Subjects: PSICOLOGIA; DIABETES MELLITUS
- Language: Inglês
- Abstract: In this study, we assessed the effects of a systematic observational training of internal (physical and psychological symptoms) and external (food, exercise, insulin, etc) cues on hypo-, normo- and hyperglycemia discrimination. Subjects were eight (five female and three male) IDDM patients, aged 15 to 37 years. The duration of IDDM ranged from six months to nine years and none of the patients showed signs of diabetic complications. The patients self-estimated their blood glucose (BG) level three times a day; before and after meals, for sevem days. In each occasion, after recording his estimate, the patient measured his BG level and recorded it. There data consisted the baseline of the accuracy index (proportion of correct BG estimates). After this, half of the patients were subjected to an internal cue (IC) observational training, followed by an external cue (EC) training, the remaining patients received the same training in inverse order. In IC training the patients were given a list of 47 symptoms and should record its presence or absence, then estimate their BG level, record it, and finally measure and record their real BG. After 20 recordings, a BG level-symptom pattern was established for each patient, by and algorithm, and the patient was informed of it. In EC training, the patient recorded the nature, intensity and time since the last external cue. After 20 recordings, the patient was informed of his relevant cues. The Student / test for paired observations was used to compare the accuracy index pre- and post- training. The post-training accuracy index (0,85±0,09) (M±SD) was significantly higher than the pre-training one (o,62±0,12). As a parallel effect of the training four patients (50%) showed a reduction in the frequency of hyperglycemic episodes and one patient (12,5%) in that of hypoglycemic ones, compared to baseline. Our findings suggest that it is possible to increase the accuracy of BGestimation in IDDM patients after a systematic observational training of physical and psychological symptoms and of relevant external variables related to BG regulation. In some cases, this is accompained by an improvement of metabolic control.
- Título do periódico: Abstracts Book
- Conference titles: International Congress of Behavioral Medicine
ABNTFANI, E K M; MATOS, M A; MALERBI, D A; ASSIS, F R P. Accuracy of blood glucose self estimation: effects of an observational training in insulin dependents diabetic (iddm) patients. Anais.. Amsterdam: [s.n.], 1994.
APAFani, E. K. M., Matos, M. A., Malerbi, D. A., & Assis, F. R. P. (1994). Accuracy of blood glucose self estimation: effects of an observational training in insulin dependents diabetic (iddm) patients. In Abstracts Book. Amsterdam.
NLMFani EKM, Matos MA, Malerbi DA, Assis FRP. Accuracy of blood glucose self estimation: effects of an observational training in insulin dependents diabetic (iddm) patients. Abstracts Book. 1994 ;
VancouverFani EKM, Matos MA, Malerbi DA, Assis FRP. Accuracy of blood glucose self estimation: effects of an observational training in insulin dependents diabetic (iddm) patients. Abstracts Book. 1994 ;
- Efeitos de variáveis temporais, de critério de aprendizagem e de tipo de resposta sobre a aquisição e a emergência de relações condicionais
- Análise de variáveis envolvidas na manutenção do seguimento de regras discrepantes das contingências de reforço
- Análise de contingências no aprender e no ensinar
- Effects of varying sample location on color identity matching with pigeons
- The effects of successive and simultaneous acquisitions of reading-related repertoires on recombinative reading
- Effects of reinforcement history on compliance to instructions under different reinforcement schedules
- Interações regra - conferência: efeitos do seguimento de instruções sobre diferentes esquemas de reforçamento nos relatos verbais sobre as instruções e sobre o desenvolvimento nesses esquemas
- Relações funcionais: estudo de propostas auto-lesivas e esteriotipadas em sujeitos com deficiência múltiplas
- Ensinando observação: uma introdução. (Manual do professor)
- Padroes de comportamento apresentados por criancas ao brincarem com suas maes
How to cite
A citação é gerada automaticamente e pode não estar totalmente de acordo com as normas